Do you tend to constantly mull over every situation? Do you overanalyze everything and examine every aspect of it before coming to a conclusion? Or you find yourself worrying too much about almost everything. Well, if your answer is yes to any of the above questions, then you are an over-thinker. As Fyodor Dostoyevsky rightly said, “To think too much is a disease.” Overthinking is certainly not a positive trait, it leads to negative thoughts and the constant examination and re-examination of situations and memories forms a pattern where you can’t help but overthink. To simplify things for you, here are five signs which according to OyeHelp Psychology Counseling Experts can mean that you are an over-thinker. If you find yourselves relating to any of these signs, you can make some efforts to change this habit or seek help of counselors to get rid of this habit.
- You come up with a list of possible interpretations for every situation – You tend to analyze everything right from what a person said to that person’s body language and their mood. Then you try interpreting every word and every action of theirs to draw a conclusion.
- You think of the past very often – You have a tendency of replaying the past and brooding over it. You may feel as if you could’ve done something differently back then and you wish you could go back in time and correct that mistake. People who think a lot often depict these characteristics.
- You can’t let go of things easily – Since you put in a lot of effort and devote so much time analyzing things that you find it difficult to let go of things. There may be times when you feel that something isn’t working but since you’ve attached yourself to it and wasted a lot of time, you may find it challenging to let it go.
- You are overly critical – You may be very particular about your work and believe in doing everything in the best way possible but if it doesn’t turn out that way, you tend to become too harsh on yourself. Being too hard on themselves and beating themselves up over for things that don’t go right is a trait of the over-thinkers.
- It takes you very long to compose a message or a status update – It takes you longer than an average person to post a status update, compose a text message or draft an email. If you find yourself typing, retyping, deleting and editing your messages constantly before you send them, you qualify as an over-thinker. You feel that you need to get it right so that people don’t interpret it the wrong way or think of it as something lame. Over-thinkers scrutinize each and every word of the text before sending it across or posting it somewhere.